Happy new year, hope you all had a lovely festive break!
Well here we are on the 2nd of January. Unfortunately my hogmanay was cut short by illness and my 1st was spent watching Sherlock in an attempt to recuperate but at least at the bells I was with friends celebrating even if I had to leave shortly afterwards.
I thought about doing a 2013 round-up post but have decided to do a looking back and ahead post together. My favourite things from 2013, in no particular order:
- I did my first ever flight by myself and it was the longest flight I have ever been on
- Starting a blog – and finding people actually read it – thanks 🙂
- Doing a 75 mile cycle
- Running 6 of the 7 hills of Edinburgh (before the fall)
- Getting a new job
- Saying farewell to the office I had worked in for 7 years
- Doing a dressage test for the first time
- Gaining my Riding & Road Safety from BHS
In 2013 I discovered I enjoyed writing again through this blog and I have been really enjoying discovering other bloggers with similar interests as myself but with different experiences and knowledge. I also realised that horse riding is something I will never stop learning. This realisation has helped me overcome one of the worst traits I had acquired in my horse riding, that when something went wrong in a lesson I would focus purely on that, only talk about that but I’m trying hard to not let the bad transition, the out of control moment, the spooking or any of the other small things that happen destroy my confidence and enjoyment. I would like to mention that reading blogs has definitely helped here, so thanks!
This blog hasn’t been as much about running as I had initially thought due to my fall in June and while I hope 2014 will involve running again I’m not putting any of my running goals in my ideas for 2014, if it happens it happens if not then that will be okay too.
- I would like to try a “buy nothing” week where all I buy is food and even then keep that to a minimum – in the idea of not wasting food not dieting, I don’t do dieting.
- I want to do a cycle holiday – preferably somewhere in Scotland not sure where although the West coast could be good.
- I would like to learn to swim properly, I really enjoy it but I do need lessons to be able to swim properly.
- I would like to do another riding holiday, I have my eye on a Cumbrian Heavy Horses Central Lakes ride.
- Fashion-wise I am keen to find my style again and to keep the WWC as an ongoing tenet through my purchasing. In this vein I am going to do another post with my 12 month-to-month ethical, sustainable challenges this year.
- I would like to try bouldering – I used to rock climb to help with my vertigo but I have been inspired again by a guest post on spikesandheels.com
- I would like to gain more confidence in my riding and handling of horses.
- I would like to improve my control of a horse through the “feelages”
- I would like to gallop on a beach again (and through the stubble fields)
That’s a suitably vague list isn’t it?! So those are my ideas for 2014, what are everyone else’s?